Thursday, June 10, 2010

London Saga: Part 4

My throat is killing me.

And I don't think this is possible, but somehow, my ears are hurting like crazy as well. I feel absolutely dreadful in so many ways.

And here's the thing -- I was feeling so chipper today. I actually participated in all the activities, which is the first in a long time, and I thought that I was getting over this. But by nighttime, I guess my good health wore off and I was left feeling like crap again. Anyway, as a defense mechanism against my sudden lack of cheer, I'll recap the day.

In the morning, we had a very informative and interesting lecture on London's religious history; afterward came a lively discussion on the play After the Dance (highly recommended). After a quick lunch in the refectory, we took a walking tour of Kensington and the nearby parks, which is a posh neighborhood where such greats like Joyce, Henry James, Robert Browning, T.S. Eliot and Ezra Pound have lived. It was also where the movie Finding Neverland was filmed, and there's a statue memorializing Peter Pan there.

Trivia fact that is also very sad: out of the boys that inspired Peter Pan's lost boys -- I think two committed suicide, and the other died in the war, all before the age of 20.

And A.A. Milne's Christopher Robin likewise committed suicide while he was a student at the university.

We also passed by the body of water where Shelley's first wife drowned herself.

Okay, yeah, I'm starting to get a little ... down.

*Ahem*

On the brighter side, we then watched more of the Up series, but that wasn't exactly happy-go-lucky either.

Alright, this blog post is getting no where. Hopefully I'll be able to write a more fulfilling one tomorrow, after I get back from visiting Cambridge. (Very excited!)

Grumpy and sick,

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment